Thursday, October 20, 2011

10/17

I found out in class today what will happen on our next trip. We leave in one week for Padre Island, and for the first 48 hours we will be totally isolated. That means that our directors are going to take us in a truck and drop us off a half-mile or so from one another and then pick us up two days later. We made mini stoves the other day our of soda cans and today we cut two sticks, got an 8x10 tarp, and several pieces of p-cord to make our shelters out of. Basically, we are living in a extremely minimalistic way for two days so that we can be totally alone with ourselves and God.

God has a habit of making himself known in big ways out in the wilderness and in our world, where we constantly escape God, our thoughts, and finding out who we are by listening to music, watching tv, or being around people, having a 48 hour solo is something none of us would be likely to do on our own time.

I have no idea what to expect from this trip, but I think it will be the hardest one of the year. I expect it to be hard and revealing, awful and beautiful. Honestly, I am afraid of what God might reveal to me about myself during that time. I know that I have hidden a lot of things deep inside of my heart and I have no idea what he is going to bring out. I won’t have my watch or any way to time how long I spend reading the bible, journaling, or even sleeping. I won’t be able to see or talk to anyone (don’t worry, we’ll be given whistles and air horns for safety). I won’t have anything but my journal and the Bible.

This trip has the potential to do big things in my heart and in my life and I am praying for the courage to be ready to deal with whatever God puts on my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment