Thursday, October 20, 2011

10/14

Sometimes it is still so surreal that I am living here because of how incredible my days are here. Two days ago, I spent most of my day in class and we spent almost the entire time discussing 1 John. Seriously, how often does that happen? How often do you get hours upon end to sit with a group of people and really get after a book of the bible? And even then, how often does that happen without being distracted by the constant barrage of distractions, worries, and cares that everyday life brings? We sat in Mi Casa with our Bibles and notes with nothing but the beauty of our surroundings to distract us.

But not only am I in a place where I have experience spiritual discipline like never before, I am also living more adventurously than I ever imagined I had the capability for. I had to clean up breakfast today, but afterwards I played a round of disc golf with Tyler, Heather, and Andrea (all Walkabouters) (well, by a round of golf, I mean that we played until Tyler’s disc landed in the river and he was too cold when he got out of the river to play anymore), a game that I never imagined I would like. Then I exercised with one of my roommates, cleaned lunch, and then went to work the rappel site for 3 hours. I never would have pictured myself sitting on the top of the ledge of a cliff, just chatting with a friend, but that’s I did all afternoon while waiting for people to come up and rappel. Afterwards, we all went on another long bike ride and fell in love with creation all over again.

My days here are ridiculous. Most days are incredibly busy and exhausting (I have to be in the kitchen at 6:30 tomorrow morning to prepare breakfast), but when I have free time, I am able to do the most incredible things. Even when I am working though, I wouldn’t trade what I do for anything other job. This is the place I wanted to come to when I needed an escape; I saw it as a safe haven. Now, it has worked its way into my heart in such a way that I see it as home.

No comments:

Post a Comment